Sunday, May 29, 2011

Summer Fun

One of my new obsessions is craft blogs. :) My friend Cara Miller probably doesn't know this but she is the one who got me started. A year or so ago she posted on her blog a few of her favorite craft blogs and I immediately entered some of them into my google reader. I see the other craft blogs that are linking up and start following them also. I LOVE finding E A S Y crafts to make. :)

A few days ago one of the blogs posted an idea for summer and I knew immediately that I would have to do it. Our school year is coming to an end (SLOWLY) and we want some fun stuff to look forward to.

Yesterday I stopped at the Dollar Tree and spent $5 on the items I would need. Here is what I bought:
  • Picture Frame (11x14)
  • Decorative Printer Paper
  • Princess Skirt
  • Yellow Hibiscus Flowers
  • Pink Hibiscus Flowers

I took apart the princess skirt (wish I had bought 2 cause it wasn't as wide as I had planned) and taped it to the back of the frame insert. Then I typed up 51 FUN summer activities and printed it onto the decorative paper. I taped the paper onto the princess skirt paper and closed up the frame. THEN I hot-glued the flowers to the frame. Here is the final project:

I'm not happy with the princess skirt part but I'll go back and get another skirt and fix it some other time. For 11pm last night it was okay. :)

Here is a close up of the activities. You can see at the end of each activity I left a space like this (  ) so we can use a dry erase marker to check the activity off as we do it. THEN we can wipe it off and reuse it next year... unless we make a new one. :)


When I was all done I had several flower left over and decided to make a headband to match my sweater for church today. :)

For the center of the flower (which you can't see in this picture) I took out the hibiscus center and added a large flat ivory colored bead. Then I put three small sparkly clear beads on top of the ivory bead for a tiny dot of sparkle.

If you want to see the original blog that I got this idea from you can CLICK HERE. Now, I'm off for some SUMMER FUN!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YEAH!! I had seen that idea and was thinking about doing something similar. I love the hibiscus flowers and what an added bonus...an accessory for yourself! Love ya sweet blog friend!

Amy said...

LOVE it!! I will keep this in mind when mine are older... for now they're happy playing on the swingset and in the sandbox for hours on end... ;)

Love how you used the leftover for a headband. Totally bummed I missed church yesterday to hear you and Marcia sing!

Keep posting fun craft ideas!! Someday I will have to actually DO one! :)